1. Not having a proper budget in most cases, when people are choosing interior designers they tend to neglect the budget part. They will choose a designer who they feel will meet all their specifications and they forget that they are the ones who will incur the costs associated with the decoration. Before you choose your designer ensure that you have a budget which will cater even for the minor costs. The minor costs that most people neglect are the ones which will really hurt you later. If you make a proper budget then the likelihood of you making a mistake when choosing a designer will be greatly reduced.
2. Rushing the process when you have bought a new home or when you want to redesign your home you will probably be very excited about it. You will tend to do things in a hurry so that you can see the results as quickly as possible. This may be because you want to move into the house as soon as possible and you will therefore hurry the whole process. This is a huge mistake that most people commit. When you rush the process you may end up choosing an interior designer who is not up to the task since you did not take your time to look at his credentials and other jobs that he may have done previously.
3. Believing everything the designer tells you at times we are very eager to believe everything that we are told and we do not take time to analyze the person or the situation completely. Some people will not ask for papers that show the designer is qualified and licensed to perform the work that he is supposed to carry out in your home. Make sure that before you give the interior designer any work you are completely sure that he is qualified to do the work.
4. Giving them the freedom to buy all the materials if the designer is qualified and skilled in his work then you can trust him with the job. However, some people will trust the designers with everything and this includes even buying the materials that are needed. Always ensure that you accompany the designer when they are buying the materials or make sure that the materials they buy are of the quality you want. If you do not keep them in check then they may end up buying sub-standard materials that will not leave your house looking as good as you had hoped for.
5. The lack of a master-plan when choosing an interior designer it is important that you know the changes and repairs that you want carried out in your home. Make a detailed description of everything you want removed, repaired and renovated so that when you approach the designer they know the tasks that they are supposed to perform. Some people make the mistake of looking for a designer without fully telling them all the duties that they are supposed to perform. Some designers specialize in some areas and the work that you had in mind for them may not be in their area of expertise. This could lead to a lot of problems since you may have to terminate their employment and incur costs. A master-plan will help you find a designer who is capable of doing the job.
6. Choosing paint before buying the furniture some people will choose the color of the paint that they want in their homes before buying the furniture. After they have bought the furniture that is when they will decide to go and look for an interior designer. This is a very big mistake and one that you should always avoid. If possible you should buy the furniture before buying the paint. And before you buy the paint, that is when you should look for an interior designer so that you can choose the color scheme that will suit your house instead of forcing him to work with tools and colors that do not blend.
7. Looking at the practical side of things if the interior designer specializes in making homes have an erotic feel then the designer is not suited if yours is a family home. The paint or tools used may also have a harmful effect on small kids at home and these are things that you should look at before choosing the designer.